Hit in the ear,perforation of eardrum,minimal hearing

ENT Specialist
I just recently got hit in ear with about 150psi and i can hear out of the ear but barely is it possible i have screwed up my eardrum or just have water in there. I alsocan hold my nose and air just comes out of that one ear
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

After going through the history, it seems you are having a traumatic perforation of the eardrum. When an external force hits over the opening of the external auditory canal, the pressure induced by the sound waves can traumatize the eardrum by causing severe vibrations of the ear drum, which is unsustainable by the eardrum and leads to perforation.

A traumatic perforation of the ear drum can cause sudden transient deafness, with ringing sensation, fullness in the ear, acute pain associated with or without bleeding from the ear. The escape of the air into the ear while blowing the nose and yawing is because of the passage of the air through the Eustachian tube (the tube which connects nose and the ear) into the middle ear and through it to the external auditory canal. There is a loss of the barrier mechanism of the middle and external ear because of the rupture of the eardrum, leading to impaired pressure balance between the middle ear and the nose.

You need to consult your ENT specialist at the earliest for a thorough examination. Avoid water into the ear while taking bath, no swimming and not to use any ear drops.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for your follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Hit in the ear,perforation of eardrum,minimal hearing 2 hours later
So i do or do not have a busted ear drum it doesnt hurt and it didnt when it happened it just feals like pressure build up i can hear with it juust not very well
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back to me.

It is difficult to comment about the status of the eardrum without proper examination of the ear.

Whatever I have mentioned is the most probable cause, based on the history provided.

The feeling of the pressure build up inside the ear, escape of the air while blowing the nose (I also can hold my nose and air just comes out of that one ear) rather than just popping of the ear and reduced hearing, could be still attributed to the ruptured eardrum.

And, the second most probable cause could be collection of blood inside the eardrum with an intact eardrum.

I would still suggest you to consult a good doctor and get the ears examined. In case, if it turns out to be either a perforation or just a blood clot, it will definitely heal by itself.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon.