Hit head on refrigerator door, nausea, dizziness, head pain, wants to take tylenol, ibuprofen, neuro check post concussion. Treatment ?

I was getting my milk in back of my refrigerator got up quick and hit my top front part of my head i fell back did not pass out but iced it for 20 minutes. That was last night today I feel slow and my head hurts with some nausea should i see a dr?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 34 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You have done the right thing so far in applying ice to the injured area. I am sure you atill have some pain as well. No need to proceed to the doctor just yet.

I recommend for the next 24 hours that you have someone at home monitor you for any change in mental status including sluggishness or change in speech. We call this "neuro check". This is basically to make sure that nothing develops over time that would lead us to need to send you to the ER. I am sure things are fine but we recommend this as an extra precaution. In addition if you develop any worsening of headache, nausea or vomiting those would be signs to proceed to the ER for immediate evaluation. Keep applying the ice intermittently for the next day or so. The bruise will take about 10 days to heal.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful, reassuring and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Warm regards.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Hit head on refrigerator door, nausea, dizziness, head pain, wants to take tylenol, ibuprofen, neuro check post concussion. Treatment ? 5 hours later
thank you Dr for your response My head has been hurting all day I took an advil no vomitting just nausea. I have to go to school tomorrow. Will the headache last ten days like the bruise? I have been feeling dazed and lightheaded too. Too much noise bothers me so is it safe to say I have a small concussion?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Hello again.

The headache will resolve within 48 hours.

I think tylenol or ibuprofen are fine to take for the next few days to help with that.

As far as the dazed feeling - not uncommon - it is almost like a concussion with the type of impact you suffered.

The dazed feeling will be gone within a day. Hydrate yourself with good drinks like water and gatorade and that should also be helpful.

It is safe to say this is a minor concussion - absolutely.

Again I thank you for the question and followup and I am here for you if you have any other concerns.

Dr. Galamaga