Hit head hard on metallic edge. Had nausea and shock. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
hello, i hit my head hard against a metallic window edge and it bleed quite a bit. i'm fine now and i got over the initial symptoms of nausea and shock. i got an appointment with a doctor tomorrow. Is there honestly a big chance of me being seriously damaged? I don't think there is but naturally i appreciate an expert opinion
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 55 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Generally it is thought that if the trauma has not caused loss of consciousness, no brain injury should be present. But this is just a theory. I have seen many patients with head trauma and XXXXXXX bleeding who did not have loss of consciousness. It is because brain is a kind of secret locked in the skull where we can not take a look.

Typical brain injury and increased pressure on the skull symptoms are nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, dizziness, weakness. Unfortunately, lack of this symptoms does not rule anything out.

That is why, after a head trauma, you should visit your doctor as soon as possible. You never know what exactly has happen and it is hard to tell about serious damage chances. And it seems to risky to wait. So if it is possible, please visit your doctor today.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Hit head hard on metallic edge. Had nausea and shock. Should I be concerned? 2 hours later
Unfortunatley I am unable to see my doctor today, i feel alright just a tad tired but i've had trouble sleeping for the past 5 days so I think it is unrelated to the head injury although I am sure it does not help. Unless you believe that it is life threatening i would rather wait beacuse it is not easy for me to acess professional medical attention at the moment. I have plenty of disinfecting creams and bandaids at home and I'm thinking that until i see the doctor those should keep me out of harms way. In case it helps diagnose the problem the cut is 1 maximum 2 mm deep and although it bleed, it didn't bleed in a dramatic amount and it is in the area between the frontal and parietal lobe on the left side of my head. I kept it iced and for now the pain and bleeding have stopped. I know that comparing head injuries isn't the best way to diagnose them but i have many friends who have cracked their heads open from skateboarding and walked away fine. But again i value your professional opinion more than my own
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Most likely no serious damage has been caused. Usually head traumas without loss of consciousness are not life threatening. So if it is really impossible to visit a doctor today, you may wait at home (at your own risk) till tomorrow. Just be aware of mentioned before symptoms especially nausea, vomiting and strange headache. You should also take a look at your pupils, should have same diameter.

The wound on your head is not a problem. Please wash it with water and soap (sounds simple but it is really effective), dry it with towel and try to put steri-strip (or something similar) so the verges of the wound will be close together. This should be enough to heal it property.

Hope this will help.