Hit head during a fall. Feeling dizzy and has lead to calcification in brain. Having low blood pressure and feels like fainting. Advise?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I had a fall many years ago whereby I hit my head, I was dizzy when lying down etc. I went to the hospital and was advised that due to the fall I caused the calcification in my brain to dislodge, this was what was causing me to feel dizzy when lying down. This eventually went away although periodically I did get that same feeling. I have now been having it quite regularly, from lying position and when exercing ie lying down then raising my head. I find that at nights when in bed when I turn my head to the right it happens often very dizzy almost feel like I am going t faint. I do have low blood pressure.

Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible disease of your right carotid artery.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Your dizziness appears to be related to movement of your head. This suggests there may be a problem with your carotid artery. This is the main artery to your brain. There is one on each side of your neck. When one of them is partially or fully blocked there is a reduction in blood flow to the brain and this can be experienced as dizziness.
I am not convinced that the episode many years ago is related to your current problem. You would have been much younger when you had your original head injury and brain calcification is unusual in younger years. I suspect this earlier episode was a minor head injury with concussion that you fully recovered from.
The reason I suspect you carotid artery may be the cause of your current symptoms is that the dizziness appears to be closely related to head/neck position. When you turn your head, the carotid artery naturally gets slightly compressed. If there is any pre-existing narrowing then the flow of blood may be easily obstructed and reduced to a critical level whereby the brain is not receiving enough oxygen. This is when dizziness occurs.
The cause of the narrowing is atheroma which is plaques of mainly cholesterol in the walls of arteries leading to narrowing.
I suggest you see your doctor to discuss these symptoms. The investigation of carotid artery disease involves ultrasound scans of the neck to assess blood flow and narrowing of the arteries. The treatment is carotid endarterectomy, a surgical operation on the carotid artery.
I hope this has been of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,