Hit head. Having headache, body ache and stomach ache. No memory loss, dizziness or disorientation. Minor concussion?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My daughter was hit on the top of the head by a basketball on Monday at school. She went to soccer practice that afternoon and was doing "headers" - hitting the ball with her head during practice. She came home and was complaining of headache and had diarrhea twice and felt too sick to eat. she never vomited. she has been in bed for the past two days and complaining of headache, body ache and stomach ache. i assumed she had a GI bug but am now wondering if she has a minor concussion? do these symptoms relate to that? she can recall what happened before and after the ball hit her. she hasn't had any other memory loss, dizziness or disorientation. do you think it is GI related or head related. do you i need to take her to pediatrician? she is eating fine last two days and only had diarrhea monday night.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
No, it definitely doesnt sound like serious head injury,contusion or commotion. Also it cant be caused by such mechanism (ball hit). If she didnt experience dizziness, blackout, amnesia, vomiting as you said I really think there is no need to worry. SOme other signs which can indicate head and neck injury are tingling sensation in neck and hands, drowse, vision and hearing disorders and concentration loss so ask her about it.
It sounds to me like typical gastroenteritis, viral probably. All you need is give her enough fluids to prevent dehydration and easier food such as fruit, vegetables,soups and soft-grain products. It should pass in 2-5 days and if symptoms persist after this you should visit doctor.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help