Hit hard on chin by football. Feeling funny in ear. Hard and painful to swallow. Should I be concerned?

ENT Specialist
I got hit really hard in the chin/jaw/ear by someones should while playing football.

I can breathe fine but now I have a funny feeling in my ear and it is extremely hard to swallow (whether just air or liquid) and it is fairly painful to swallow.

Is this something I should be concerned about or just let it go away with time?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is better to get examined.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. It depends upon where you got hit, the symptoms and how much time ago this happened.

2. Though this should not be a serious problem, it is better to get your ear, jaw and throat examined.

3. The ear drum, the jaw, the throat and larynx should be examined if you ear feels and you have odynophagia (pain while swallowing) and dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing).

4. Area's of swelling, bleeding, small fractures of bone or cartilage, rupture of the ear drum are some of the common problems after such injuries.

5. The advantage of seeking medical attention is that if all is well, anti-inflammatory medication, cold compresses initially (followed by hot fomentation later) and pain killers will ease your symptoms. Your doctor can ask for X-rays if required.

6. You may follow up with your examination results here.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have any query, I will be able to answer them.