Hit hard on back head. X-ray showed clear. Sinus has been hurting. Is this normal after head injury?

I hit the back of my head very hard when I fell on the kitchen floor . Landed on my back and head. Went to the Er and they took x-rays. Said no serious engeries but my sinus has been hurting ever since. Is this normal after head injury?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

The most common complications after head injury are: (1) post traumatic headache which can actually be made worse by overuse of pain medication which can then cause a rebound headache (2) post traumatic seizures (3)post traumatic movement disorders (4) post traumatic emotional disorders (5) infections but this would usually occur if there is a fracture (6) damages to the nerves

In severe head injuries there can be leakage of fluid via the nose and ears which is cerebrospinal fluid but this would be associated with a headache that is worse when you sit up, neck stiffness, nausea and a sensitivity to light.
If these symptoms occur then you need to return to your doctor who may perform a CT scan. In alot of cases these leaks repair themselves.

In terms of pain in the sinuses, most head injuries are not associated with sinus pain but everyone is different.
The most common causes of sinus pain would be infection, inflammation or rarely cysts with the sinuses. The symptoms of sinus infection would be a discolored nasal dischage, post nasa, drip and cough. In sinus inflammation the discharge would likely be clear.

If you continue to have symtoms you need to consider revisiting your doctor for another full examination of your neurological system.

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any addtional questions