Hit hard on back head. Bump appeared. Not having pain. Should I go for emergency room?

Question
My 3yrs old son fell down and hit his back head on washroom floor. He got a bump on his back head. He cried and said it was hurting him. After few minutes, he stopped crying and he said he was ok when I asked how he was doing. He read books with me and behaved as usual. I put icedpack on his back head to ease the pain. He played for 30-40 minutes with me and he is in bed now. Do you think the bump should be ok? What would be the sign that I should take him to emergency right away?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 1 hour later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, head injuries fall into two categories external (usually scalp) injuries and XXXXXXX head injuries, which may involve the skull or the brain. Fortunately, most childhood falls or blows to the head result in injury to the scalp only, which is usually more frightening than threatening. The scalp is XXXXXXX with blood vessels, so even a minor cut there can bleed profusely. The "goose egg" or swelling that may appear after a head blow is the result of the scalp's veins leaking fluid or blood into (and under) the scalp. It may take days or even a week to disappear. If your child has not lost consciousness, and is alert and behaving normally after the fall or blow apply an ice pack to the injured area for 20 minutes every 3 to 4 hours (as rightly done). If you use ice, always wrap it in a washcloth or sock; ice applied directly to bare skin can cause cold injury to the skin. Observe your child carefully for the next 24 hours. If color and breathing are normal, and you observe or sense no other abnormalities, let your child sleep. If you aren't comfortable with your child's appearance, rouse your child partially by sitting him or her up. If your child can't be awakened or shows any signs of XXXXXXX injury (see below), visit the doctor if he complaints of head and neck pain, vomits repeatedly, difficult to awaken, isn't walking normally. Some XXXXXXX head injuries complications of a fractured skull, torn blood vessels, or damage to the brain itself can be serious and possibly life threatening like unconsciousness for more than a few minutes, bleeding or clear fluid from the nose, ear or mouth, disturbance of speech or vision, neck pain or stiffness, seizure, then would advice to visit your clinician immediately. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks

Follow-up: Hit hard on back head. Bump appeared. Not having pain. Should I go for emergency room? 8 hours later
Thank u, doctor. He woke up in this morning as usual (I didn't have to wake him up ) but still the bump is there. However, the bump size got smaller and the color is white as other part of his head. He is speaking and walking fine. It was big bang sound when his head was hitting on floor so I worried so much.... If bump is getting smaller and he is behaving normally then I don't have to worry, right? Or should I still bring him to doctor to get checked?

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 17 hours later
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, as you would have observe your child carefully over the last 24 hours. If color and breathing are normal, and you observe or sense no other abnormalities, then it will regress slowly. If you have any concerns or doubts then you could get him examined by your clinician. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Thanks