Hit hard on ankle bone. Bruise appeared and vein in visible. painful to touch. Suggest some cure?

I just hit my ankle bone on something hard. Very painful for about 3 or 4 minutes, then okay for a couple of minutes. After that a rush of pain was felt and now a vein is visible over the ankle bone. Looks like that spot where I hit the object and the vein right there is bruising/bleeding under the skin. No puncture or bleeding on the outside. What to do or watch for? Thank you.c
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Presentation of pain is usually not immediate following an injury. The onset of pain times with the development of inflammation. This usually takes a few minutes to hours of injury. Hence the reason why you were free of pain for awhile and then pain again.

Various structures surrounding the site of injury can get affected either directly by injury or by inflammation. There is increased flow of blood to the site of injury and probably that could be the reason why the vein there is visible now. Do not worry, this is common.

I suggest you to ice the affected area; keep the limb elevated above the ground and avoid bearing weight on the affected limb. Watch out of progress of symptoms. If the pain is severe or you develop a huge swelling or you find it difficult to bear weight, it warrants a visit to your doctor.

Hope I have answered all your queries in detail. Let me know if you have any more enquiries. If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Prasad