History of two brain surgeries. Scheduled for radiotherapy. What are the possible side effects?

May 2014

My 30 year old son has had 2 brain surgeries and is about to undergo 6 weeks 5 days a week radiation treatments at MD XXXXXXX in Houston. I wonder about the side effects, should he be left alone in Houston? His mother and I think not as he will be renting a place and staying by himself.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 hours later
Brief Answer: He SHOULD NOT be left alone during radiotherapy Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read your query in detail. With a history of two brain surgeries and 30 fractions radiotherapy, you son must not be left alone to himself. I myself have worked in one of Asia's busiest cancer hospitals and come across many patients with a medical history similar to that of your son. The important side effects when a patient take radiotherapy to the brain are as follows: 1. Focal hair loss: This is limited to the area of radiation. 2. Feeling sick: Not all patients have this but unless radiation is started, one will not know. 3. Severe tiredness: This usually begins with the treatment and the tiredness goes on for a few weeks after the treatment has finished. 4. Worsening of brain tumor symptoms: This can happen even after surgery and is related to the brain swelling and changes in tumor with radiotherapy. Keeping the above in my, I would suggest that a responsible adult is with him through out his treatment duration at MD XXXXXXX Houston. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek