History of thrush. Experiencing dry vagina during intercourse. Cause and cure?

Question
hi doctor, i am 29 and had my third child 10 months ago...recently during sex i am experiencing extreme dryness of the clitoris not only is this making it hard to orgasm, but also hurting my partner. i am not adverse to using a lubricant but i would like to know the cause and if there is any way to remedy it so i can lubricate naturally.i am also currently experiencing longer than usual periods 8-9 days and now have considerable pain when i get cramps. when it only lasted 3-4 days with very minimal cramping before i was pregnant with my third child. i have no abnormal discharge or smell. i have suffered with thrush throughout my pregnancies however it has not been an issue any other time.
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 21 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your questions.

The dryness, irritation, and discomfort with intercourse could certainly be related to inflammation of the skin in that area. You have a had a history of thrush in the past, and it can affect the surrounding skin areas without a vaginal discharge or itching. This would be my first inclination and it could certainly be checked out with an exam.

The next common cause of problems relates to birth control pills. It does not sound like you are on them, but if you are, they are commonly a problem with regard to vaginal dryness or pain with intercourse.

While you are waiting to get in with your doctor, I would highly recommend the use of lubricants. They are harmless and might even help to alleviate added trauma to the area while it heals from the underlying cause!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions.