History of stroke. Will it be safe to plan for pregnancy?

Sep 2012

Hi, I had a stroke 6 years ago caused by the contraceptive pill. I was 31 at the time. No lasting effects. I have three children and would like to try for a 4th. My question is .... Would it be safe for me to have a baby. What are the risks.
Thank you in advance

Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 43 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you history suggested that you had a stroke. Now, your age is 37. And you want to try for the fourth pregnancy. Your previous history and your age both are high risk factor for pregnancy. Because, apart from the complications related with higher age, you may experience events of hypercoagulability which may again lead to stroke. Because pregnancy itself is a high risk factor for hypercoagulability.

In this condition, you have to do some basic tests to exclude any abnormality that can lead to events like stroke. These are antiphospholipid antibody level in blood and protein C and protein S level, in blood. If any one of them is abnormal, it would not be better to try for pregnancy. But, in that case, if you want you can try with anticoagulant coverage.

Age related most important complication is higher chance of genetic abnormality in fetus.

Considering all these risks and problems that you may face in future, if you want to try, you can. The decision depends solely on you.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: History of stroke. Will it be safe to plan for pregnancy? 10 minutes later
Thank you for your response
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

If you do not have any more question, you can close this discussion.

Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.

Follow-up: History of stroke. Will it be safe to plan for pregnancy? 9 minutes later
Hi, I have one more question.
My last child was a difficult birth had shoulder dystocia. No ill effects to him or me. Just very stressful at the time. I was told by the midwife who attended me during the birth that I would be classed as a high risk pregnancy and delivery in the future. She stated that I would be recommended for a c section. Is this usually the case after shoulder dystocia. I was 25 at the time. Fit and healthly no pregnancy complications etc. baby was a healthy 8 and half pounds.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 8 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, you have mentioned that you have three children. In case of last baby, you faced that problem. That means the problem was in the delivery process of that particular pregnancy.

But, keeping this, in mind, c section is highly recommended for you. That should be better.

Hope, you have your answers.