History of skull fracture. Have post concussion syndrome, dizziness, poor balance. Taking amitriptyline. Reason?

I fractured my skull last july and I have post concussion syndrome, very dizzy and poor balance, after seeing a consultant neurologist he has put me on amitriptyline 20mg. Why am I on an antidepressent and does it have much success treating post concussion syndrome.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

You are right in stating that amitriptyline is an anti depressant, however, it is not used for this commonly any more. The most commonly used anti depressants are the SSRI which would include zoloft, prozac, paxil, lexapro.

Amitriptyline is also used for different reasons. It is used in persons with neuropathic discomfort (this includes numbness, tingling, dizziness and abnormal sensations), migraines.
Your neurologist is likely using it for the dizzy sensation that you are presently experiencing. It is used in post concussion syndrome, mostly in persons who have a headache related to the syndrome but can also be used for your symptoms.
In terms of its efficacy for this, the success rate varies from person to person. If you find that it is not effective for you, then speak to your doctor about changing it.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions