History of seronegative spondiloarthropathy and acute sinusitis. Why have I started losing weight?

General Surgeon
Hi, I am 27 year old 6 feet tall guy. My worry is my reducing weight. I am having normal vegetarian diet together with a glass of milk at night. I don't follow any strict workout routine and i don't even burn my fat or calorie in running here and there. My office work is also very comfortable. But I have lost almost 13kg in last 1 year because of no reson whatsoever. I have a history of seronegative spondiloarthropathy, acute sinusitis and almost 10 months back, I had low level of vitamin B12 for which I was prescribed methylcobalamin injections for a week. I am worried why I am not that healthy. I look thin now while i was healthy enough 1 year back. That time my weight was 82-83 while now my weight is 70 Kg which is low for a 6 feet guy i guess. Routine blood tests couldn't find anything specific. What other treatment or tests I should go for and how can I gain weight again as I hate myself while I see myself in mirror bcoz i m tall and look funny when i m thin. Please help me gaining weight quickly and finding reason behind this weight loss.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Weight lost can be a symptom of disease as well as decreased food intake. If you did not changed any diet habits it is advisable to rule some diseases out. You should also have B12 shortage diagnostics as this one can be also a symptom of disease.
Diseases that can cause such symptoms are: stomach cancer (can cause both weight lost and B12 shortage), large intestine cancer and all other cancers, parasites infection, tuberculosis and many more.
B12 shortage is also very common in vegetarians.
It is advisable for you to have upper GI endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, colonoscopy, chest CT.
And if you could attach your blood test which were performed.
Only after ruling out all this diseases, you may start thinking about weight gaining.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: History of seronegative spondiloarthropathy and acute sinusitis. Why have I started losing weight? 4 hours later
Thanks Doc for your prompt response. My diet has not been changed drastically and food intake is almost similar so I don't think it is a reason for weight loss. I will surely go through the tests you have advised for. Just wanted to let you know that my digestion is also going through tough stage with constipation and have to take medicines frequently for constipation. How to know if B12 shortage is because of inability of my body to absorb B12 or is it because of my B12 deficient diet? How to know if proper B12 itake will help or I'll have depend on medicines and injections for my whole life. One more thing, is autoimmune disorder has anything to do with this as I have already told you that I am diagnosed with seronegative spondiloarthropathy
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later

Thank you for the query.

To find the reason of B12 deficiency it is necessary to rule out all diseases causing it. For sure meat is the main source of B12 for humans and it would be much easier to start eating meat and see if this is the solution.
Chronic atrophic gastritis and associated with it autoimmune Addison-Biermer anemia can cause such B12 deficiency as well as many others gastric diseases. So the upper GI endoscopy with samples collection for histopathology will be a very good way to rule them out.
Constipations should be checked with colonoscopy. So as you can see, advised tests needs to be done to explain what is going on.