History of seizures and neurocysticercosis. Taking Albendazole, Eptoin. CT scan normal now. Stop Eptoin?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
20 Year ago suffered from seizures and diagnose with neurocysticercosis,

Doctor advice 2 Tab Albendazole for continious 3 months with Eption 100 Mg - 3 Tablets after 3 months I stop taking Tab Albendazole and continue taking Eption 100 Mg - 3 Tablets.

Later on reduce the dose of Eption 100 Mg to 1 Tablet a day and from past 17 years no any seizure, as well latest CT Scan and MRI reports does not deduct any abnormalities in brain , so please advice should I stop taking Eption 100 MG - 1 Tablet .

Presently I am taking every night One Tablet only, does not suffer any seizure from last 17 - 18 years

Please advice
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

Neurocysticercosis is a common cause of seizures in our country.

You have had good treatment for the same, with albendazole. MRI has also shown complete improvement.

Since you are seizure-free for long time, you can stop taking eptoin. Since you are only on one tablet, you can stop it straightaway.

Hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: History of seizures and neurocysticercosis. Taking Albendazole, Eptoin. CT scan normal now. Stop Eptoin? 51 minutes later
Thanks Sir,

As advised by you I am straightaway going to stop medicine - Eption 100 MG one Tablet.

Should I need to take any Multi Vitamin Tablet etc.

No there is no need to take any multivitamin.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: History of seizures and neurocysticercosis. Taking Albendazole, Eptoin. CT scan normal now. Stop Eptoin? 2 days later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your kind helpful advice, one more thing I just wants to know , I used to take Hard Drinks twice in a week , and as you suggested to stop Eption Tablet , should I stop Drinks too for a time period also I am involve in activities like Rock Climbing, Drving , Swimming, Running, Zym etc , should I stop all this for a some period.

Your suggestion will be much helpful for me , since last 7 days I did not take Eption 100 Mg - 1 Tablet , and I do not feel any uncomfortable.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

You should stop drinking and other activities such as driving, swimming, etc for about six weeks, as the risk of seizure recurrence is the highest during that period after stopping eptoin. I should mention that the risk is very low- less than 4%.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: History of seizures and neurocysticercosis. Taking Albendazole, Eptoin. CT scan normal now. Stop Eptoin? 5 days later
Dear Doctor,

As advice and as suggested by you I stop taking Eption 100mg -1 Tablet.

Since I stop taking from last 15 days everything is ok but yesterday I feel little bit uneasy and gone through EEG, report graph attached here with.

Please advice any problem observing in my EEG, if yes then what should I do?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back with EEG report.

First of all, let me reassure you that the findings on your EEG are non-specific and are not suggestive of epilepsy.

So, there is no need to worry.

Please ensure adequate sleep of 7-8 hours per night, and eat food on time (avoid fasting).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: History of seizures and neurocysticercosis. Taking Albendazole, Eptoin. CT scan normal now. Stop Eptoin? 35 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,

After seeing EEG Reports my Doctor advice to take Encorate 300 mg - one Tablet in a week , he was saying waves in EEG Reports are like focal mirror, which I didn't understand what he mean to say.

Please advice what he mean to say?

But I am not going to take further medication for this.

I have full trust on you.

Please suggest.

Thank you for getting back.

What your doctor would have meant is that there are minor changes on EEG on one side of brain (referred to as focal), but they are not like epilepsy.

Also, there is no justification or benefit of using one encorate tablet once a week.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: History of seizures and neurocysticercosis. Taking Albendazole, Eptoin. CT scan normal now. Stop Eptoin? 15 days later
Dear Doctor,

As per advice made by you I have stop taking Eption 100 MG one Tablet now one month passed after stopping medicine , as per advice I have restrict my activities up to some points, now I have to go on office Tour visit, please advice weather I need to keep any medicine or spray with me for emergency in case of recurrence of seizure.

I personally recurrence will not happen but as a anticipatory I need your suggestion.

If i need to keep any medicine or spray with me please give me the name also.

Please suggest.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

I am glad to note that you have not had any seizures in the past one month, even after stopping the eptoin tablets.

I also think you would not have any seizure.

For emergency use, you may carry midazolam nasal spray, sold in India as INSED nasal spray.

Best wishes,
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: History of seizures and neurocysticercosis. Taking Albendazole, Eptoin. CT scan normal now. Stop Eptoin? 5 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your kind advice, I have bought INSED Spreay , plz advice the appropriate dose in case of emergency also let me know is this spreay can control seizure activity immediately.

Just for my knowldge only.

Thank you for getting back.

Midazolam nasal spray is effective in emergency and can control if the seizures are not severe.

The usual adult dose is 10 mg, 5 mg taken in each nostril.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: History of seizures and neurocysticercosis. Taking Albendazole, Eptoin. CT scan normal now. Stop Eptoin? 24 hours later
Thanks Doctor your suggestions are really helpful for me to guide in stoping Eption medicine.

Since now more then month passed without any problem and now feel I would not have any seizure.

Once again thanks.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you and best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM