History of recurrent sinus infection and strep throat. Have pain and swelling. Taken antibiotics and painkillers. How long will it last?

ENT Specialist
Since the 18 of may I have been unwell with sinus infection then strep throat infection then sinus infection again I have been to the hospital 3 time had blood tests done all clear ultrasound on the right hand side of my neck due to pain for two weeks prior to the ultrasound that came clear also the pain became worse through my ear so I went back to the hospital because it started to affect my throat and swelling on the right hand side if neck and shooting pains to my head and had fever. The doctors did full count blood tests, swipe my mouth also the told me I might have galangal fever or strep throat infection again. I got the results from my doctor yesterday and he told me the full count blood test was normal and I have infection hence the pain and swelling all the other blood tests came clear and he was happy with them but because I suffer from panic disorder how long does the infection lasts? I had this pain for the last three and a half weeks and started treatment on Monday with antibiotics and pain killers also the swelling is bother me do much how long could that last? Especially when is bacterial? If there was anything serious would the blood test showed any abnormalities? All the doctors I have seen they say it's infection and the last couple of days I can feel a bit of pain in my left ear. So when my doctor says its infection I should be at ease and not worry or should I see an ENT for further tests?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for the query,

After reading your problem, it is clear that your counts are normal at two occasions. also your ultrasound is normal. but still you have pain in your ear and neck along with fever.
Based on your description, you seem to be suffering from infection of upper respiratory tract , most probably viral. This usually settles spontaneously over few days to week.

However I think you also need to discuss about the possibility of enlarged styloid with your ENT surgeon. Enlarged styloid, a neck bone can occur in some people causing neck pain with earache.

Do not worry; it is just a benign condition that will resolve soon.

Hope this helps. I am available for future follow ups

Follow-up: History of recurrent sinus infection and strep throat. Have pain and swelling. Taken antibiotics and painkillers. How long will it last? 46 minutes later
Thank you doctor I will keep you posted with my progress and i will ask my doctor to send me to a ENT specialist because I saw one 15 years ago and told mme that my sinuses are blocked especially the right hand side and one day I will need surgery also the last 4 weeks I have been having running nose and congested nose and every time I clear my nose with FLO my right ear hurts and making a noise that wants to be unblock like when you are on the plain that sensation I get and I had green discharge and a bit of bleeding that could be due to Warfran
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 10 minutes later
Hi, again

well the situation is more clear, you are suffering form rhino sinusitis.

you must take some steroid spray under prescription of some ENT. this will definitely help. and please let me know your progress.

I am here for future follow ups.