History of radiation to thyroid area. Done FNA for goiter. Have hoarse and raspy voice

I had medically needless 5600 units of radiation to thyroid area in 1977, developed goiters. I had an FNA approximately 1990. My voice has been quite hoarse, raspy and getting worse. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Have you had a recent thyroid ultrasound?

If yes, did it show any nodules or general enlargement of the thyroid ?

Radiation by itself can affect the vocal cords. But the best way to know if the vocal cords are affected is to undergo an evaluation by an ENT surgeon.

However, if the ultrasound shows thyroid enlargement that may be significant enough to cause compression of vocal cords then it is the thyroid that needs to be addressed. Treatment would likely involve surgery.

For more information, you may wish to peruse this link :