History of positive ANA test. Low grade pap smear changes and negative HPV. Scheduled for coloscopy. Any suggestion?

My wife has had a history of positive (and very positive) ANA readings (past 2 years) but no tangible underlying symptoms. She just received an irregular papsmear (low grade abnormality but cannot rule out high grade) but is negative for HPV. She also has had some rectal bleeding since she delivered our 2nd baby 18 months ago. She is scheduled for a coloscopy however its a long wait. My question is there a possiblity that there is correlation here? I have read that it is extremely unusual to be negative for HPV and have cervical cancer. Should we be suspicious of something else given the high ANA and recurring rectal bleeding?

Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be cervical cancer

Detailed Answer:
You are correct that cervical cancer is unlikley given her low grade pap smear changes and negative HpV. The rectal bleeding needs to be evaluated by a rectal examination. It may be due to innocuous causes like anal fissure or piles or serious ones like rectal cancer. As it has been there for 18 months without any further symptoms, serious causes are less likely.
ANA is not a test for cancer. It is done for autoimmune disease, where the body's immunity acts against the body. If there are no features like skin rash, joint pains, low blood counts, etc, then it may be just followed up.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.