History of pityriasis rosea. Dark, dry patch of skin on ankle. What could it be?

Jul 2012

I am an African young lady, i had pityriasis rosea almost three months ago, it lasted 8 weeks and it cleared. But over a week ago i noticed a patch of dark dry skin that looks like a brown flower, it is the size of a golf ball and is directly above my right ankle what could it be? I have tried to apply bio oil and baby oil but and exfoliators but it won't go away. I am not sure what it is? If i scratch it the skin does not come off or flake it just looks very dry and wrinkled
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Dry Skin
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 18 minutes later
Hi there Young pretty African Lady. I note your history with interest. At the outset, you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. Sometimes after an attack of P. Rosea, a residual patch may remain. This dry patch...i take it your sensations to hot/cold, XXXXXXX touch & pain are intact over the region. If so, please just wet the area & apply a moisturizing cream (preferably one that contains 10% urea) over the region twice/daily & i envisage all to be well in a few days (inside a week tops)...carbamide cream is a name that comes to mind but your pharmacist will help you in trade names in your area. If you should choose to, you may please upload a clear photograph of the area on this site for me to try & give you a more 'accurate' picture or to corrobate my views hitherto. Cheers & Good Luck to a quick recovery!
Follow-up: History of pityriasis rosea. Dark, dry patch of skin on ankle. What could it be? 9 minutes later
Hello Dr here is a picture i took it with my computer i would have to take a picture during the day to get a good picture of the do i upload the picture?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 minutes later
Hey there. You did seem to manage to upload the pics..nice but sadly, if i were to be "as honest as the day",...perhaps a better photograph would be in order!
Having said that, this picture does not change my view point & would still stick with the same advice...moisturize, moisturise, moisturize..either witha z or s...:)
atop 'wet' skin...sprinkle a little water on it & layer the cream on top! Cheers & Good Luck!
Follow-up: History of pityriasis rosea. Dark, dry patch of skin on ankle. What could it be? 0 minute later
Hi Dr ok i managed to upload the pictures are not very great because its evening now here. I can take a better one tomorrow. I had one other it normal to have creepy crawlies after pityriasis? A few days ago i slept in a bed for the first time in 3 months i had been sleeping on an air bed because the itching would get worse on a bed. Last week when i slept on the bed i was itching like crazy i thought i was allergic to something so i washed the bedding twice but nothing changed, my skin was crawling like crazy but there was no rash. Then I cleaned out the room and my sister thought it was all in my head that i had the creepy crawlies but i could honestly not sleep my skin was crawling quite badly, felyt like i had insects crawling all over my skin, i had to take benadryl and oil of oregano to sleep and apply hydrocortisone cream. Then i tried sleeping on the airbed again and it stopped so i am back on the airbed. Is my skin still very sensitive? Or is there something in the mattress like a fibre my body is reacting to? Are creepy crawlies normal after pityriasis attack? There is no rash was could cause the creepy crawlies?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 17 minutes later
Hi answer your questions to the point..Yes there are rashes that could present as 'creepy crawlies' but No not in Your case from all you have described. Again , the dryness of the skin coupled with your pretty sister's astute observations, could be the problem as i see it. Doubt the bedding has much to do with it (continue sleeping on the airbed for 2 weeks) but yes the skin does tend to be a touch hypersensitive & so do we after an 8 -odd week illness & that is quite understandable. I would suggest in addition to the localised cream i recommended earlier, perhaps if you could lay your hand on some natural aloevera based emollient from the supermarket/pharmacy, apply it the same way as the other cream but on your entire body on 'wet' skin again! You may add a daily night time antihistamine of the group hydroxizine hydrochloride (common name Atarax) 25mg one tab bedtime for a 2 week period till the 'feeling' goes away & keeps both your rash & the sister at bay! ;-)
Cheers & Good Day..have my clinics starting hence may not be able to reply as promptly for the rest of the day but do believe our work here is done & all will be well if you follow the advice overleaf. Please do close the query if so & do find time to give us a feedback & regds.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD