History of piles. Have rectal bleeding, acidity. Will colonoscopy help?

Question
I have rectal bleeding. Not always, only on days when I think I might have eaten something either too spicy or too oily the previous night. I have history of piles, but I have not undergone surgery or medication. I don't think it's related since I was diagnosed with piles some 20 years back, but the bleeding has been occurring only for the last 2-3 years. I also frequently suffer from acidity, for which I pop in some antacids (not the reflux kind, just plain calcium / magnesium chewables) and that relieves me a lot. Somehow I think the two are related. Whenever there is a feeling of acidity / flatulence, more often than not the next morning I see blood. Bright-dark red.

I am also used to having a few drinks every night. Not an alcoholic (I never drink during day time), but I drink more than I think is safe.

What to do? Colonoscopy for sure. But where will that get me?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later
Hi XXXX,

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I can understand your problem.

Colonoscopy may not be required always. Your doctor may first do a per rectal examination. If he feels your piles are responsible for your problem then he will advise you accordingly.

Reduction of your alcohol consumption will help you. It will reduce the acidity problem you are facing. (Stop it if possible)

I suggest you some life style changes which will help you.

1. Reduce the intake of coffee, tea etc.
2. Do not miss breakfast. Have you meal in time.
3. Do not over eat.
4. Avoid spicy foods etc. Try and have a balanced diet.
5. Reduce stress.
6. Go for a regular walk.
7. Play with kids. Do some yoga, meditation etc.
8. Eat fiber XXXXXXX foods. My patients usually benefit with green leafy vegetables. Have them regularly in your diet. Eat plenty of fruits.
9. Avoid junk food. Do not eat fried substances.
10. Have plenty of water.

If you continue to have acidity problem with burning sensation then your doctor may prescribe medications like ranitidine, omeprazole etc. They reduce the acid secretion.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Follow-up: History of piles. Have rectal bleeding, acidity. Will colonoscopy help? 16 hours later
Hi Dr. YV Siva,

Thanks for your response.

Alcohol is one thing. But as for the rest of your advised life-style tips, I follow pretty much all of that. I get enough exercise. In fact I cycle to work and play football on the weekends. The acidity problem is not related to stress (I can always connect it to what I ate). I eat lots of veggies and fruits. I am a vegetarian. It's just that sometimes when I don't have a choice, I have to eat spicy/oily food. I would avoid it if I could. I have coffee only once a day. I drink about 3-4 litres of water every day (which, I think is way above normal).

For a week, I was on Ranitidine (or Rancid, I am not sure), that was because I was on pain-killers (Brufen) when I'd fracture my wrist. It did not make a difference to my acidity, though.

So, here are my follow-up questions:

1. You've advised that my doctor may do a rectal exam first. But I don't have a doctor. What kind of specialist should I consult? Can you recommend anyone in Bangalore?

2. The bleeding is painless. If I don't look, it's as if it's not there at all. So, why should I be doing anything at all? Why should I be worried?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later
Hi XXXX,

You should consult a surgical specialist. M.S. (General Surgery) will be good enough.
I am not in a position to suggest one but most of those corporate hospitals will have one.

No you should not neglect it. First we should find out the basic cause of that and that should be corrected. Continuous bleeding can result in anemia. So please do not neglect that.

Regarding that acidity issue ranitidine or omeprazole or any other proton pump inhibitor as prescribed by your doctor should solve the problem.

Hope I answered your queries.