History of osteoporosis. Got hit on buttock. Started pain and noticed tiny bruise on thigh. Concerned

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Thankyou im 68 years old 46kg v fit usually still working as tour guide
Twoweeks ago i fell in pouring rain on my left hipIbuttock very heavily was in huge pain taken to hospital by ambulance x rayed no breaks given co-codomal & diclofenic.Only got tiny bruise on left thigh.
still in great pain cant put left foot on ground have history of osteoporosis in ther hip in past but im getting so depresssed
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

I understand your complaint. You are in great pain after two weeks of injury over your left hip / buttock and you are unable to put weight on ground. In this circumstance I feel the injury is beyond soft tissue. I would like to know whether you are able to perform straight leg rising on left side when you are in lying down position and whether you have XXXXXXX tenderness in groin region. There is a possibility that you may have a fracture neck femur impacted or type 1. Routine X-rays can miss this type of fracture.

Therefore it would not be a bad idea to report back to your orthopedician. He / she can carefully examine you again and if needed perform a repeat X-ray with left hip in internal rotation position. He can also prescribe you stronger antinflammatory drugs to alleviate the pain.

In the interim rest the affected limb completely, continue your current pain killers, ice the affected areas and take calcium and vitamin D3 tablets.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Wish you a speedy recovery...