History of osteoporosis. Diagnosed with compression fracture in spine. What could be causing pain in lower back?

I am 44 and have osteoporosis and am also in surgical menopause. I had a fall a week ago and have been to my GP and chiropractor and have been diagnosed with a small compression fracture in my spine. Diagnosis was made with no x rays as they said it would probably not be able to be seen. I have been given pain relief but as the week has gone on the pain and spasms have got slightly worse. I am also now getting a lot of pain and pressure in my lower back just above the tail bone and find it hard to sit for long periods of time. Spasms shoot up my back on either side of my spine. Should I return to my GP or am I being impatient and need to give it a bit more time? I have not been able to take time off work as it is a really busy time. Any advise would be helpful
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: consult GP,NSAID, muscle relaxant,calcium. rest.CT Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. With the history of osteoporosis and fall the most probable cause of your problem may be fracture, but if not corrected they may put pressure on spinal cord or nerve and may worsen the condition. with x XXXXXXX the fracture may not be visible but may give clue to the injury. CT scan is the best to diagnose at your condition. So I advice you to get re-examined by your doctor and get done one X-ray if CT not possible. This will help in planning further management. Mean time with your doctor advice you take NSAID like aceclofenac and muscle relaxant like tizanidine, which will help in reducing pain and do regular stretching exercise for low back. maintain your weight with BMI less than 25 and take calcium supplements. Take plenty of fluids and regular breaks in between work. This will help you. Hope this answered your query and helpful to you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. Wish you faster recovery and good health. Regards