History of miscarriages. Noticed dark discharge. On antibiotic for dental issue. Worrisome

Question
I am a 44 year old female. i have never delivered a baby only had misscarriages. i have been regular all of my life. this week i have started to see a dark discharge and pink tint on the toilet paper after i use the restroom? i am taking an antibiotic for a dental issue but what could cause this? i am very scared.. email me @ YYYY@YYYY thank you!

Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 32 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I first have some questions for you:

1. Are you trying to get pregnant?
2. Have you had any workup in the recent past that might have included an ultrasound
3. Are you having any pain or cramping?

Please answer and I will get back to you shortly - DR XXXXXX

Follow-up: History of miscarriages. Noticed dark discharge. On antibiotic for dental issue. Worrisome 1 hour later
I am not trying to get pregnant, but I'm not trying not to either. My husband had a vasectomy about 7 years ago though. No cramping or pain and no recent ultrasound.
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 minutes later
Thanks for the followup. Here are the three clues to your problem:

1. Your age
2. History of recurrent miscarriage
3. Abnormal discharge / bleeding

The most likely causes would include:

1. Anatomic changes within the uterus (polyps, fibroids)
2. Irregularity in when you ovulate (can lead to irregular bleeding)

In any case, this requires evaluation. Your doctor needs to:

1. Perform an exam
2. Perform an ultrasound of the uterus
3. Consider a biopsy of the inside of the uterus (very easy to do) to rule out pre-cancerous changes - though this is highly unlikely, it should be part of the evaluation.

I hope this helps!

Follow-up: History of miscarriages. Noticed dark discharge. On antibiotic for dental issue. Worrisome 32 hours later
Thank you for you information. I actually bought one of those home ph tests last night. It shows that my ph is really high. What does this mean?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Thanks for the followup. The pH of the vagina is usually on the low end, indicating that it is an "acidic" environment. The elevated pH indicates an abnormal alteration of the vaginal environment. This can be for abnormal reasons, but also normal reasons. They include:

1. The presence of blood (even small amounts)
2. A vaginal infection called bacterial vaginosis (BV) - this is usually associated with a discharge and odor
3. Semen - in the case of recent intercourse
4. If any water was present - for example after a shower or bath

In any case, I do not think it is a clue to the question above or problem I had commented on before. It is most likely related to a blood tainted discharge. In the absence of any symptoms, it is probably not really that significant.

I hope this helps - DR XXXXXX