History of miscarriage, married relative. Is Siphene safe to take?

Hi, I am XXXXXXX 26 years old female, My period cycle is 26days and it used to be heavy bleeding during that time with heavier stomache pain, Me and my husband blood groups are same and We are within relation.

For Information: My parents also within relations

I got married Aug 2008 and got aborted for two times(DEc-2009 and May-2011) both the times i conceived naturally and no medication used.

First abortion happend @3rd month(there is no heart beat for baby) after the first abortion my stomache ache during periods is gone and second abortion is due to hydrops problem (we went for the termination).
trying to conceive from last 8 months with no result.

Now doctor has advised me to take Siphene 50mg, is Siphene safe? I have read on internet that it has lot of side effects, please advise.
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 16 hours later

It has been reported that several congenital malformation, genetic disorder & fetal wastage are more common in consanguineous marriage.

As more than 50% abortion in first trimester are due to congenital malformation, there could be possibility of having congenital malformed fetus during first pregnancy.

If you are trying to conceive, first thing I would like to tell you that intercourse should be done in unsafe period (fertile period) means 11,13,15,17 & 19th day of your cycle.

Still there occurs failure of conception; you can start siphene.
Each drug has its own side effects, siphene also has side effects like facial flushes, mild abdominal pain or discomfort, bloating. Less frequently reported symptoms included nausea or vomiting, increased nervous tension, depression, fatigue, dizziness or lightheadedness, insomnia, headache, breast soreness, heavier menstrual period.

However, it is recommended by most of the gynecologists to induce ovulation & 50 mg dosage has lesser side effects.

I hope your has been answered. I will be available for further queries.

Follow-up: History of miscarriage, married relative. Is Siphene safe to take? 10 hours later
Hi Doctor,

As my marriage is "consanguineous marriage"(with in relation) and also had two miscarriages. Do you suggest any medication/treatement/test before planning to conceive or after conveiving (to avoid such mis carriage problems wht i faced in my past)?

My period cycle is 26days with 5days of bleeding, shall i have siphene-50mg on 5th day itself and continue on same day for intercourse?

I have read on internet, conceiving via siphene will led to miscarriage, is that true? and this question i am asking you because i had already 2 abortions.

Will siphene increase the possibility of getting pregnency?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 11 hours later

Welcome back.

Genetic disorder cannot be treated; they can only be prevented and for that you would have to undergo some investigations like karyotype of your-self & your husband. If there occurs some disorder in karyotyping you would have to undergo assisted reproductive technology like Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI).

At present there is no need of these investigations, you just try for natural conception & hope for the best.

Siphene is having adverse effects like nausea, vomiting, mood disorder, hyper-stimulation syndrome & multi fetal gestation. In very rare cases, it can cause abortion - but that is not proven yet.
So do not worry. You start siphene on 5th day & have intercourse on 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18th day of your cycle.

I hope your query has been answered. Please close this discussion and rate it if all your queries are answered. Yet if you have any other concerns, I will gladly assist you.