History of miscarriage. Pregnant. Blood work showed thicker blood then normal. Safe to take lovenox injection?

I have had 3-4 miscarriages. Also got removed cyst in uterus. 1st miscarriage in 2007 was prematurely born, did not develop proper hands and feet and was aborted and delivered normally as still born, was a boy. All other miscarriages were after few weeks itself. Last time got pregnant via ivf procedure in august 2011, but the baby did not develop heart beat even after 8 weeks so had to abort the baby. Now pregnant again 7-8 weeks. The usg showed baby to be very miniscule with not able to make out properly. Doctor advised to take blood test that showed erythrocyte sedimentation rate of 29 mm/hr, haemoglobin rate of 11.7 g/dl and Hematokrit rate of 36. Also Fibrinogen at 363 mg/dl. The doctor said the blood is thicker than normal, hence advised to take Lovenox injection.

The latest scan yesterday showed slight increase in size of the feutus but still could not make out properly and there was no heart beat either. The doctor said will do the usg again on 19th october and will ascertain the status of the baby.

Please let me know if above is normal and whether there is a chance of normal pregnancy here. whether taking lovenox after 7-8 weeks pregnancy will yield positive result. The injection has to be administered till 20th october and next scan as informed earlier is on 19th october. Please give your comments and advise based on the elaborative information provided. I am 41 and my husband is 40 years old. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Since you have started taking injection Lovenox at 8 weeks, it is not likely to show an effect on the fetal growth before 10 days. It takes some time for the thinning of blood and the increased blood circulkation to show its effect. Repeated conceptions and then abortions suggest that the possibility of a normal pregnancy is there.
Your ultrasound on 19th should show some growth but the appearance of heart beat is doubtful as a regular and well defined yolk sac is also present in a normal viable pregnancy.
The further course of action can be decided after the scan results. You can ask about the appearance of yolk sac in the scan.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: History of miscarriage. Pregnant. Blood work showed thicker blood then normal. Safe to take lovenox injection? 2 hours later
Thanks for the reply. If the heart beat is not there, does that mean the baby has to be aborted? Or if the baby has grown in the next usg scan test, should we wait further for a week for the heart beat to show or it is not going to be there at all? The last time we aborted after 8 weeks or so was because of no heartbeat. Is this an indication of same thing? Or still normal pregnancy is possible? Pls elaborate. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
If in the next scan, the fetus shows some growth in size but the heart beat is not seen, then again we should wait for a repeat scan. In such cases, the regularity of yolk sac is also seen to assess the viability of baby.
If the heart beat does not appear and there is no further growth then the baby has to be aborted.
The normal pregnancy is possible only if it is a case of late conception. Sometimes the conception occurs one or two weeks later than the expected time of ovulation.
Let us wait for the repeat scan results.
Follow-up: History of miscarriage. Pregnant. Blood work showed thicker blood then normal. Safe to take lovenox injection? 3 hours later
hello...can i have reply to my query please....awaiting your reply...thnks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
In this case, a normal pregnancy can be possible if a normal heart beat appears in the fetus in the next scan. It is best to wait and continue with the treatment as the last scan has showed an increase in the fetal size.
Warm Regards.