History of migraines. Taking OTC medicine for headache. Noticed numbness on tongue and dizziness. Any ideas?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a history of occasional Migraines, however, i have had a chronic painful headache for 12 days that gets some relief from OTC meds, but once the meds wear off the headache is back. Yesterday I noticed a small area of my tongue that is numb and tingly and now have become hypersensitive to odors. I have been feeling general malaise and slight dizziness during the last few days. Any idea of what may be happening ?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later

Considering your age and medical history this should not be something to be concerned about.
It is obviously caused by Migraine attacks. Numbness and dizziness are a usual symptom of migraine. Just take a rest in a dark room, avoid light and stress.
You should take some non-OTC meds:
Pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) may help relieve mild migraines.
The prescription pain reliever indomethacin may help thwart a migraine headache and is available in suppository form, which may be helpful if you're nauseous.
Triptans and anti-nausea medications.
Because migraines are often accompanied by nausea, with or without vomiting, medication for nausea is appropriate and is usually combined with other medications. Frequently prescribed medications are metoclopramide (Reglan) or prochlorperazine (Compro).
Opiates. Medications containing narcotics, particularly codeine, are sometimes used to treat migraine headache pain when people cannot take triptans or ergot.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: History of migraines. Taking OTC medicine for headache. Noticed numbness on tongue and dizziness. Any ideas? 1 hour later
Thank you, your answer is very comforting. I suppose this is considered a "cluster" type Migraine attack. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes. It could be. There are about 10 types of migraine. Some of them are associated with neurological symptoms.

Of course, if symptoms progress and you have constant tingling or inability to move hands, or speech disorders then this can be something more serious and you need to go to ER. Unfortunately, Migraine is sometimes very problematic. It can be refractory and there is no perfect cure for it yet. But just be patient and hold on.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.