History of migraine headaches. Feeling taste of blood and lightheaded. Easy way to get cure?

I have a history of migraine headaches. I just experienced a shart pain in the left side of my head, followed by light-headedness and then the taste of blood. I almost thought I might be getting a nose-bleed as the blood seemed to be dripping down the back of my throat - it wasn't, or was so miniscule I couldn't see it. Just checked the symptoms of a stroke - which I don't have. I am 58 years old, a bit overweight - dieting now - just lost 15 lbs, and exercise moderately.
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 23 minutes later
The light headedness and the feeling of taste of blood following the left side head pain may indicate minor stroke at your age. The stroke doesn't always come with the typical symptoms like weakness, facial deviation or the numbness. Since it was a short lasting event so it may have been TIA (transient ischemic attack). Even if it was minor it warrants investigations. The doppler scan of the neck vessels is the one I would be interested in . Other tests are MRI of the brain and echocardiogram.
If these show any abnormality then appropriate treatment has to be initiated.

Hope that answers your query. If there are more questions I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.