History of migraine, headache, taken depakote and cymbalta. Dose?

Migraine :

I have a 30 year history of some form of Migraines.. sometimes headaches can last weeks. I went on Depakote and Cymbalta doses of 500 mg 2x daily and 60mg 2x daily about 1 year ago.

Is it feasible to get headaches that are similar in duration called breakthrough?? And, typically if so, should dosages be upped?? I currently have one that is similar to before.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 13 hours later

Regarding the treatment of migraine, Depakote (divalproex sodium) is an approved drug for preventing migraines. It is a medication that needs to be taken every day in order to prevent migraines. Cymbalta is a antidepressant medication which works both for migraine as well as underlying depression.

“Triggers” are specific factors that may increase your risk of having a migraine attack even if you are under treatment. Common triggers are sleep deprivation, stress and certain foods. Identification of specific triggers and avoidance of these would reduce your chances of having a migraine attack.”

So I personally feel if you have benefited from Depakote and experiencing no side effects you can continue on this medication. Or else consult your Neurologist for change of medication. Avoid triggers for migraine if possible. By keeping a headache diary, you will be able to identify some of the triggers for your headaches.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Neurologist. You need to be on medications to prevent migraine becoming more chronic in the future.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist