History of migraine and bronchitis. Nausea, difficulty breathing, sore joints. Why is this happening?

ENT Specialist
I am 136lbs, F, 28yr. I have a history of migraines and bronchitis and random illness, which i always attributed to colds. I am pretty constantly fatigued and would like to gain back the activity level i once had. Within the last two years these colds have come into question and seem to be getting worse. I tend to get sick about 6+ times a year even with a flu shot. At the time of illness i am super exhausted, to the point of seeing stars when i try to do normal household activity and sleeping 10-12 hours a day, but i don't have a stuffy nose, vomit, or fever. I do have nausea, though, and a hard time taking a full breath. I also in the last two years have been having stabbing abdomenal pain with pressure that difficulty breathing. I have been getting sore joints as well. I have been cleared of mental illness. My lungs have been checked and cleared. Endoscope has come back clean. I don't have celiacs. I don't have diabetes. Im at a loss to why this is getting worse or what it happening. It is effecting my job and life.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your flu like symptoms, fatigue, headaches, excessive sleepiness (somnolence) may also result as a side effect of Prozac (Fluoxitine). You have not mentioned the dose and duration of your drug intake.

2. Paradoxically, withdrawal symptoms of SSRI (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors) class of drugs of which Prozac is one, can be equally bizarre. Chronic acid reflux can also cause some of your symptoms.

3. It is good that your endoscopy and lungs is clear. If you still suspect the sinuses, a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) will definitely help understand your problem. If that is not possible, at least get a Cone Beam CT or an X-ray PNS, Water's view.

4. You may require blood tests to rule out chronic inflammation including routine tests, ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate), RAF (Rheumatoid Arthritis Factor) CRP (C-Reactive Protein) , XXXXXXX TFTs (Thyroid Hormone Levels), Lipid profile, Uric Acid, Homocyteine and so on. This is my no means an exhaustive list and has to be modified by your physician.

5. You may share your Sinus CT Scan and investigation reports here for more specific treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.