History of melanoma. Have soft mass on back. Cause? Family history of heart disease and cervical cancer

Hello, my 65 y/o mother, who has a history of melanoma, now has a large (1/2 base ball) size, soft mass on her back, just medial to the bottom of her right scapula. She did not notice it until i pointed it out about a week ago. It is painless and apparently arose in less than ~2 months. She is not overweight and she does not smoke or drink alcohol. Is there a common cause or diagnosis for this condition? -- Also she has a family history of heart disease and cervical cancer.

Thank you very much,

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome XXXXXXX and thanks for writing in.
Considering the past history of melanoma and family history of cervical cancer, we must evaluate this swelling.
In a rapidly increasing swelling with past history of malignancy we must rule out metastasis. Posterior aspect swelling may be a rib metastasis. You need to consult your previous oncophysician or board certified surgeon for clinical examination. Investigation like chest xrays and CAT scan of thorax is necessary. This is standard approach in known case.
It may be benign swelling but still evaluation is necessary.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Hope for the best.