History of lumbar spine fusion and cervical spine fusion. Have pain in operative sites, warm skin. Excessive salivation, blurred vision. Treatment?

Spine Surgeon
I had lumbar spine fusion in Nov. of 2012 and cervical spine fusion in April 2013. I was during quite well however, in XXXXXXX I began to have severe pain in the operative sites, Skin in area warmer than other parts of my body, some weeping in the anterior area of buttocks, pain in area and pain rotating down my right leg to right foot. I have same pain now as I did prior to surgery. Doctors are stating that it is highly unlikely that it is related to titanium rods, screws, implants. I have many symptom related to sensitivity to this metal. What are treatment options? I am also having excessive salivation, pain in both eyes with blurred vision, pain in fingers and sometimes pain in both arms, My pulse rate has dropped to 60 or 58 from the 70"s. I have also noticed changes in my mood and slight dizziness when standing and walking..

Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
You had lumbar and cervical fusion. Operative site pain happens sometimes and usually local gel and ice application helps. Are you allergic to metals?
How are the recent Xrays? are you healing well? if possible please upload the xrays.
Most of the symptoms you described may not be related to spinal fusion.Are you taking any medicines now? side effects of the medicine can cause such issues.
Regarding the leg pain, I think that needs to be investigated. You may need to get repeat MRI spine to rule out any pressure on the nerves. Thanks.
Follow-up: History of lumbar spine fusion and cervical spine fusion. Have pain in operative sites, warm skin. Excessive salivation, blurred vision. Treatment? 51 minutes later
Thanks for your assessment Dr. XXXX,
I have never been tested for allergy to metals. I have healed completely from the outside at the lumbar sites anterior and posterior. I still have slight pain at post-op site on my neck at C-spine op-site. I plan to have a MELISA TEST as soon as I can see my primary doctor. I had post-op lumbar x-rays last month and the cervical post-op on 7/11/13. The radiology report from the Lumbar area stated that there was no evidence of any misalignment or loosening of the screws or plate. I do not have a report from the C spine yet. I am taking the following medications: Procardia XL 30 mg daily for Raynaulds Syndrome, Levothyroxin .075 mcg for Graves Disease, Ropinerol 2mg at night for Restless Leg Syndrome, ASA 81 mg as precautionary, Vit D, 1000 Units daily and Calcium 600mg twice a day. I converse with the pharmacist regarding drug compatibility for the medications that I am taking. They are all compatible according to the pharmacist. I have MANY of the symptoms listed on Avatar/symptoms for possible reaction to titanium.

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 8 hours later
Definitely you can consider doing the metal allergy test. However the most of the symptoms you said may be due to ropinerol medicine. Also allergy to titanium is unlikely and in case if you have allergy then it would have caused the would healing problems with persistent discharge from the wound. Other way round, actually people who are allergic to chrome or steel, we use titanium implant. Thanks.