History of kidney stones. Feeling constipated, kidney hurts while sitting for long and smelly urine. Concerned

I have a history of kidney stones and have two children. Recently i have been very constipated. If i sit down for a long period of time usually my left kidney hurts. Today it is my right kidney. My urine has a very distinct smell. Also, i have gas bubbles ocasionally.
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 37 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Your kidney stones don't have any relation with your constipation.
Your constipation and smelly urine indicates that you consume very less water.
This has resulted in concentrated urine,which obviously,smells more.
Less water also results in constipation.

Take plenty of water
Take XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fruits which have lot of fiber like papaya,grapes,guavava etc.
Do regular exercises
Can take prunes also.

However for immediate relief,you can take either senna preparation like ex-lax or senokot or bisacodyl preparation like dulcolax tablets.
Take these laxatives for coupke of days only as they are habit forming.
Once your constipation is relieved,you take the measures which I have outlined above,on regular basis so that such situation doesn't arise in future.
Always take plenty of water as it will take care of your urine as well as stool.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best if luck
Follow-up: History of kidney stones. Feeling constipated, kidney hurts while sitting for long and smelly urine. Concerned 17 minutes later
okay that clears up the constipation issues, but i'm still not clear on the kidney pain. It is almost like a dull ache that doesnt go away. Like i said, usually on the left side, which is where i had surgery to removed (2) previous stones, but not am feeling the pain on the right side also.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 17 minutes later
I don't think this pain is due to kidney.
Probably it is happening due to severe constipation.
Once the constipatipn is relieved,your pain abdomen should be relieved.