History of kidney infection and UTI. Having pelvic pain and frequent urination. What is this?

Hi, I have had UTI's since my twenties off & on (I am now 42). I was hospitalized for a kidney infection when I was 32 but everything turned out ok. In the past 6 months or so I have experienced pelvic pressure and pain that appears to be related to my bladder, also increased urgency and smaller amounts of urine at a time. In the last month or so the pelvic pressure has pretty much disappeared but I am still having the urgency and small amounts of urine at a time. do u think I should see a urologist? I don't have health insurance at the moment but am planning to go online and take advantage of Obama care
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The problem needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, ,

Thanks for posting your query on this website.

I can fully appreciate the pain and agony that you are passing through.

From the information provided, I have short-listed a few possibilities, as below:-

* Chronic, lingering UTI due to inappropriate treatment in the past; probably urine culture and sensitivity test was not done. This test isolates the causative bacteria and also intimates the antibiotics, which the culprit bacteria are sensitive to. Adequate treatment with sensitive antibiotics would be the answer.

* urinary infection due to fungi.

* There being a family history of anxiety and depression, if you too are suffering from anxiety, it is possible that increased frequency may be due to it. You have not mentioned if have burning sensation while voiding urine.

* Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is another possibility, in view of heaviness/discomfort in pelvic region and increased frequency. However, PID is usually secondary to lingering genital infection. If you have had recurrent or vaginal infection and discharge, I suggest that you consult your Gynecologist for XXXXXXX examination and appropriate treatment. Treatment of PID will relieve urine problem too.

* Hyperactive bladder- in which case, urologist's consultation is warranted.

If I were your treating doctor, my course of action would have been as follows:-

- Urine examination and culture/sensitivity test, including test for presence of fungi. --> Appropriate treatment, depending on the culture report.

- Ultrasound of Pelvic region, bladder, ureter and kidneys. - If evidence of PID found--> appropriate course of antibiotics+anti-fungals.

- If you have anxiety with/without depression, I would have put you on anxiolytics and anti-depressants. No further action would be required if urine frequency returns to normal.

- Exclude diabetes

- Finally, If all above-mentioned tests are normal, consult urologist to exclude/confirm hyperactive bladder.

In a nutshell, I would recommend that you consult your treating doctor who will know the above-mentioned course of action and get the necessary investigations done. After seeing the investigation reports, he will guide you accordingly.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal