History of jaundice. Started working out at a gym. Is it safe to take protein supplement?

Hi, I am XXXXXX, I am 35 yrs. old and weigh around 80Kgs. I have recently started working out at a Gym. I wanted to know if it will be safe for me to take protein supplements. I had a medical condition last year. I was diagnosed with Jaundice, however it has been an year that I dealt with the situation. I feel I am overweight hence I started working out.
What would you suggest? If I take the supplement what precautions or additional things should I include in my diet?

A prompt response would be highly appreciated..

Thanks & Regards
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

There would be no problem in you consuming high protein diet while you are working out in gym considering your history of jaundice.

Since working out in gym with increased protein intake improves the immunity, there is no risk of recurrence of jaundice or any other infections.

Do take Multivitamin supplements along with the protein supplements for better absorption and incorporation of the nutrients into the body.

Hope, I answer your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: History of jaundice. Started working out at a gym. Is it safe to take protein supplement? 15 minutes later
Hi Doc,
Thanks for the prompt response, appreciate your efforts and advise. The only query I have is what sort of Multivitamin supplements should I take for better absorption of Proteins? I would also like to state that apart from improving my overall health I am also trying to lose some fat that has built up over the years of inactivity. After leaving the college I have never been actively involved in any sports or physically tiring activities. To be precise its been 12 years of physical inactivity that I am talking about.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You can take multivitamin supplements available in pharmacies as over the counters, one such brand available in India is SUPRADYN.

By working out you will loose he fat and consumption of protein will replace the fat with healthy weight in form of muscles and strong bones.

Wish you good health.