History of hysterectomy. Bloating, pain when passing stools. Blood work shows abnormal glucose. Related to thyroid problems?

Sorry this may be long but I want you to get the full background to the question because this been a challenging few months which has effected my ability to go to work and I am self employed. My medical history is hysterectomy when I was 21. Thorasic surgery whenI was early forties precancerous stomach stomach and esophagus which was having me vomiting several times a day and nite meds helped controll symptoms but leisions remained that's why I had to have that surgery. Gallbladder removed in when I was in late fifties. Thyroid cancer removed February this year. Since then my bowel movements have been all over the place more frequent usually thin but formed various colors and then sometimes an oily film on surface of water in toilet. Two to three weeks ago 24 hr stomach lasted a few days andthenaweek after that I was feeling super bloated then bad pain when attempting bowel movement which was mostly clear water or white tissue looking stuff sometimes with blood seldom any stool. Or bits of stool with white stuff After three days of that when to Dr a CT and blood work. Blood work showed a little above normal glucose low LDL slightly high hdl but total iin normal range total cholesterol TSH went from 2.3 to 25.1 even thought synthroid had been increased to 100 mg. T4 total elevated to 11.1 t3 total lowered to 60.1. CT impression. Marked wall thickening of sigmoid colon with diverticuli probably just diverticulitis but colonoscopy to rule out neoplasm. My questions are is this all related to getting my thyroid hormone balance and what questions should I be asking the dr Still haven't had a normal BB but no pain on meds normally I would say I am basically heathy mother did die of colon cancer. I have Barrett's. past colonoscopy has showed tortuous adhesion and diverticulosis. I just want to be able to feel confident that I wouldn't get a rebound of this past week of pain etc.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 2 hours later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Your bowel movements have nothing to do with thyroid. Raised TSH means hypothyroid state, this will cause constipation rather than loose stools.

Since CT scan shows diverteculosis and thickened sigmoid colon wall, it is certainly worthwhile undergoing a colonoscopy to rule out a co-existing malignancy.

You should also ask your doctor about the state of pancreas, as you also have high blood sugars and oily contents in the stool. These two usually occur with pancreatic insufficiency.

I hope my explanation helps you. If you have any other questions you can ask them.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: History of hysterectomy. Bloating, pain when passing stools. Blood work shows abnormal glucose. Related to thyroid problems? 9 minutes later
When might I expect normalish bowel movement and stools once starting antibiotics. Pain is gone not to much has changed
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 16 hours later

The period for stools to become normal in your case is difficult to determine, as it will depend on the cause of loose stools, which is still not certain. I think you should XXXXXXX with your consultant who will determine the cause and then we can expect some time duration for it to get better.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal