History of hypertension. MRI indicates multi-level disc herniations. have pain, weakness and difficulty walking. Treatment?

Question
I am a 51y old male 240lbs 6' tall. History of hypertension. I was involved in a mva on 2/1/2013 at approximately 45 mph. Have had 8 mri's done cervical, thoracic, lumbar, all indicate multi-level disc herniations. I have pain, weakness and difficulty walking and with gait. My lumbar mri states severe bilateral neural foraminal encroachment with compression of exiting l4 nerve root, same for l5. This happened at work , ortho surgeon says not surgical candidate condition getting worse , second surgeon now involved referring me to neurologist. What is your opinion on my medical condition.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neurologist for pain management

Detailed Answer:

Usually disc herniations are treated surgically but in case of severe multiple herniations surgery is rarely considered an option as such an extensive repair is cumbersome.

A neurologist intervention with medications to control pain is the only way to provide relief.

I would like to read your MRI report of the spine, to be sure whether surgery is impossible.
Kindly do attach the same here.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: History of hypertension. MRI indicates multi-level disc herniations. have pain, weakness and difficulty walking. Treatment? 1 hour later
Here are the mri reports you requested

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery cant be an option

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the reports.

I agree with your surgeon, surgery is not an option here owing to the multiple level involvement. Neck, upper back and lumbar region are involved surgery at a single sitting is impossible. Multiple intervention would help but rarely planned.

Do discuss about the options of surgery with another spine surgeon.

Meanwhile do consult a Neurologist who can help to alleviate pain and make the condition suitable for surgery if possible.