History of hirschsprung's disease. Facing difficulty in passing stool. Any cure?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hello Doctor,
I am Male, 23 years.
I have a history of Hirschprung's disease, the operation was performed in two stages when I was 10 days old and another when I was in 6 months of life. However, I am completely fine and have no complication of any sort.

The problem which I am having at the moment is that I'm not able to pass stools properly and not because I have hard stools but the stools are very sticky, even if I take 25ml Duphalac in the night, I'll not be able to pass anything in the morning, I again have to take it in the morning and after 2-3 hrs I pass stool, and then in a watery form.

I have noticed one very interesting thing happening with me:

If I take Ceftum (Cefuroxime axetil) 500 mg - 1 tablet per day for 2-3 days, my sticky stools are completely gone and I'm even able to pass stool without taking Duphalac. This is a great relief for me but at the same time I do understand and am fully aware of the side-effects of Ceftum.

I would really really appreciate if you could help me out on how to cure this problem and any advice on the tests which need to be conducted.

XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in

Considering the fact that you have been operated for Hirschprung's disease around 13 years back, I presume the aganglionic segment would have been removed

And the information that you have been normal through out rules out the possibilities of a motility disorder

Also the response of Ceftum is pointing to some sort of infection in the GI track, I would suggest you stop all medications for atleast three days

Go for a stool culture and then according to the sensitivity go for a five to seven day antibiotic treatment

You may add a probiotic to your daily routine once the stool sample has been given for analysis

Hope this helps
Do get back with the reports
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: History of hirschsprung's disease. Facing difficulty in passing stool. Any cure? 36 minutes later
Dear Dr Ajit,

Thanks for your quick response, my operation did take place 23 years back.

Do I need to tell the lab to do a stool culture or is there anything specific which I'd need to tell them?

I will stop all medications from today and get back to you with reports.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 32 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Hi again

Yes just go to the bank and ask them for a stool culture report

But after stopping medicines for three days

DO get back with reports
Wishing you a speedy recovey

Follow-up: History of hirschsprung's disease. Facing difficulty in passing stool. Any cure? 16 days later
Dr Kukreja,

I have got the stool culture done and here are the results:

Culture Stool:

Organism: Escheriachia coli grown (Norman flora)

* No Salmonella species grown
* No Shigella species grown
* No Enter-pathogenic E Coli (O 0157 H7) grown
* No Vibrio cholerae grown

Can you please suggest next plan of action please.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in again

After going through the reports, I feel you need to take a good probiotic for around six weeks two times a day

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: History of hirschsprung's disease. Facing difficulty in passing stool. Any cure? 14 minutes later
Hi Dr Kukreja,

I have taken probiotics regularly they don't help in the problem of 'sticky stools'. Can you please suggest which probiotic I should take?

I look forward to hearing from you.

XXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXXX

From your information I feel there are chances you have an element of Irritable Bowel Syndrome also

VSL 3 From Sun Pharma is a good probiotic and it works better than others

I would suggest you increase fiber in your diet and manage stress levels if any

Hope this helps
Wishing you a speedy recovery