History of high BP, strict diet, moderate exercises, on lisinopril, simvastatin. Salmon high on cholesterol?

I am a female, 5'3", history of high blood pressure approx. 180 lbs. Within the past 7 weeks or so, I went on a strict diet of king salmon and soy, fruits and vegetables, oatmeal and brown rice for grains. Limit olive oil and no other fats. Moderate exercise and walking. My blood pressure is elevated. First reading 190 on lisinopril 40 milligrams and simvastatin 80. My question is:

Is it true that the salmon is such a high chloresterol fish that it increases my BP. Thanking you in advance............... XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 26 minutes later

There are two types of Cholesterol in our Body
1. LDL - Cholesterol - also called Bad Cholesterol
2. HDL - Cholesterol - also called good cholesterol

Now the amount of Cholesterol in Salmon is approximately 0.5 mgs cholesterol/grams. This is actually the lower limit of cholesterol found in nonvegeterian foods. Mutton and chicken contain approximately 1 mgs cholesterol/gms of meat.

Now its interesting to note that Fish has protective Omega 3 Fatty acids. Salmon is known to contain it in large quantity. This Omega 3 Fatty Acids increased the Good cholesterol in our body and therefor are beneficial.

It does not increase the bad cholesterol and therefore its safe.

There is no relation what so ever between eating salmon and your high blood pressure.
Yes, if you are consuming smoked salmon and talking liberal salt in diet, this can contribute to uncontrolled blood pressure.

So cut down your salt intake.
Do regular adequately and regularly.
Good physical activity in the form of physical exercises.
Yoga, meditation and other relaxation techniques
May be the medicine dosage needs to be increased or further medications needs to be added to Lisinopril.

All these aforementioned measures will benefit you in bringing blood pressure under control.

Hope this answers your query. Do get back if you need any further information.