History of high BP, cold and irregular heart rate. Normal?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have a history of high blood pressure and cold. The last two days my heart rate has been close to or a little over 100 BPM. I am not having any shortness of breath and my bp is running from 120/70 to 107/65. Is this normal?
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 30 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
If you have a cold then it would be common to have a heart rate a little above normal as this would be related to the infection.
If your heart rhythm is irregular then this would be an indication to see your doctor. An irregular heart rate at 100 may need treatment as it may be atrial fibrillation.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: History of high BP, cold and irregular heart rate. Normal? 3 hours later
Since I have COPD could the high heart rate be because of the oxygen level in my blood. Why would by heart beat so fast and my BP stay average to what I consider low? 7:45 pm CST today using my BP machine at home my readings were 116/61 with pulse at 94..yet when I ck my pulse without the machine I get 80 bpm
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Readings are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further question.
Your heart rate will not be affected by the oxygen level in your blood unless it gets critically low and you are very ill.
Your blood pressure readings are good. They indicate a well controlled blood pressure on treatment.
The difference between the two heart rates could be either the machine is slightly inaccurate, or there was a true difference between the two readings. My comments regarding the readings are that the pulse rate you measured will be more accurate, machines have errors. Also, it is quite normal to have a pulse rate that varies between readings.
My overall comment is that these readings are entirely acceptable and you need not be concerned.
I hope this has explained matters and reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,