History of hepatitis C infection. Have sjogren's syndrome and raynauds syndrome. Should I be concerned?

Dermatologist
Question
My Hepatitis C infection occurred in 1970. I completely recovered. Then in 2001 I was tested for a life insurance policy and the antibody showed up so they insisted on a PCR test which was negative. I was issued the policy with standard rates. Recently,over the past few years, I self diagnosed a minor case of Sjögren's syndrome and Raynauds syndrome. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your question .
I would be pleased to answer your question .

With the history of raynaud's syndrome and Sjogren's syndrome it would surely be necessary to get certain tests done to check for the extent of the diseases.
You should get a CT scan of the lung to check for the lung involvement and other blood work up done for a detail study of the autoimmune data .
It would be necessary to get clinically examined by the physician to rule out other autoimmune conditions . With the history of Hepatitis C , ruling out autoimmune conditions would be important .
Please do see a Physician .

Thanks and Take care

Follow-up: History of hepatitis C infection. Have sjogren's syndrome and raynauds syndrome. Should I be concerned? 20 hours later
I feel it would be unlikely that I have any lung issues. I run/walk on the treadmill at least 4 days each week for 30-50 minutes without and breathing problems. I have been active my whole life. My main concern at this time is whether it is possible that the hepatitis infection that has shown as cleared could be causing my very mild autoimmune disorders that I have.

Yes ,
Hepatitis C Virus is associated with Autoimmune conditions .
Many literature readings and patient case reports do indicate that Autoimmunity .
Hence , in your case there is a possibility that the Hepatitis C could be causing the related autoimmune disorder.
Thanks and Take care