History of heart problems and chemo. Diabetic patient. Sugar count increases rapidly. What to do?

I have been hospitalized 5 times since May 2013, both for heart stints and for hysterectomy and chemo port. I am also Type 2 diabetic and on 500 mg glip/metformin. I went to the heart doctor yesterday at the direction of my oncologist, telling him I was having chest pains, shoulder pains, and breathlessness. He said my heart sounded good, but since my blood pressure was way out of control, it had to be the hpb that was causing my problems. He prescribed Ranex 500 mg for the hpb and Triamterene/HCTZ 37.5 mg/25 mg for water retention. He released me to have my chemo treatment today (taxol and carboplatin). My blood count at the chemo place was in the "low normal" range, they told me. I took my blood sugar count this afternoon about 2:00 when I got home, and it was 218. About 3:00 it was 235, Then I took another glyb/metformin about 5:00 because it had gone up to 286. I'm only supposed to take one of those 2 times a day and that was 3. I called all my doctors, got their answering service, was told that they don't take messages, then called my local emergency room and asked if I should come visit them. They said they can't tell me anything over the phone, that if I feel I need to go the emergency room, then go. If not, don't go. I've been keeping hydrated and have not eaten anything since noon , I'm afraid to. What should I do? Is 286 (or probably higher now) XXXXXXX for me?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer..These levels of 286 are high but no need to panic
Detailed answer...
I know you must be stressed after knowing that your sugar levels are high but just calm down and don't panic.
Blood sugar levels of 286 are high levels and definitely put strain to your system,but frankly speaking they are not that XXXXXXX so as that it can put your life in danger.
The fact is that your diabetes is getting uncontrolled with present medications and hence you need revision of your dosage or change of medications.
Take plenty of water to keep yourself properly hydrated and do some exercises at home like a stationary bike etc.
In case you are not having any vomiting or pain abdomen or drowsiness,then there is nothing to worry.You may take half tablet of your anti diabetic medicine late in the evening and consult your doctor tomorrow or if you feel uncomfortable,then you may even go to ER.
Just keep yourself relaxed and don't panic.Everything shall be all right.
Best of luck