History of heart disease. Having frequent urination and started shivering. Should I visit ER?

Jul 2016

My husband - age 78 - has a history of heart disease, Last night he complained of having to urinate frequently, often in a rush. This afternoon that condition continues and he is now shivering badly and feels somewhat 'punk'. Not up to eating although a shot of scotch and some wine has helped with the shivering. Should we go to the emmergency room? Urination produces very little urine each time.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your husband who is 78 years old has Acute Retention Of Urine with overflow incontinence due to Benign Enlargement of Prostate which is common at this age.

This can be confirmed only on clinical examination and Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen.
Please take him to emergency room for evaluation .He may need to get catheterized to drain his bladder and investigated thoroughly to confirm the diagnosis.

Please consult qualified Urologist for proper assessment and further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.