History of heart attack. Suspected to have early signs of glaucoma. Prescribed Xalatin. Is this safe?

I was told by my ophthalmologist recently that I have early signs of glaucoma. I was prescribed Xalatin drops on each eye before sleeping every night. As I had a heart attack 13 years ago in 2000 ( no surgery was required) and I have been in decent good health since then, I wonder if Xalatin drops have a negative side-effect on my heart condition.
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Dear Sir

I hope Xalatin contains Latanoprost only which is commonly available as XALATAN.
Latanoprost contains a steroid, prostaglandin F2a analogue which is used for the treatment of glaucoma and has mainly ocular side effects.
1. chest pain/angina occurs in ~1% of patient taking this drug as per manufacture's brochure but standard medical literature (reviews and case report) describe angina as a rare side effect of this drug which has been reported anecdotally. neither the presence of anginal heart disease or heart attack is a contraindication (conditions where drug is not to be used) to use of this drug.

2. if you currently have angina on exertion , I would advise you to be careful and report to your cardiologist if there is a worsening of symptoms (increase in frequency/duration/ intensity of pain) or if you have rest angina. If you do not have any angina, then report it to your doctor if you have any chest pain.

I hope I cleared the issue to you.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder Singh