History of head injury. Recurring tightening of neck muscles causing lightheadedness and fatigue. Any thoughts?

General Surgeon
Question
I have a recurring tightening of the muscle on the left side of the spinal line on the back of my neck, causing light headedness and fatigue. When I hold it and rotate my neck, I get some cracking sounds sometimes. I had a head injury 8 years ago. Any thoughts?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such tightening of the muscle usually does not indicate serious disease. Usually such pain can appear due to uncomfortable sleeping position (like too hard or too soft pillow), one side overload (lifting heavy objects) or due to spine problems (like scoliosis or some spine disc herniation).
I suggest you to try physiotherapy like massages, hot compresses, etc. Exercises strengthening and relaxing neck muscles should be also helpful (however it needs to be performed regularly to make muscles strengthen).
If such proceedings wont help, you should visit orthopedist and have spine MRI performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: History of head injury. Recurring tightening of neck muscles causing lightheadedness and fatigue. Any thoughts? 29 minutes later
Thank you! Very helpful and am very happy to be told to have more massages. No problem there.
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
You are welcome.

Follow-up: History of head injury. Recurring tightening of neck muscles causing lightheadedness and fatigue. Any thoughts? 25 minutes later
Excellent! Put my mind at ease immediately instead of having to wait to go see a doctor. Great desktop manner!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Good to hear that. All the best for you.
Regards.