History of genital candidiasis. Had oral sex. Noticed itchy red patches on penis. Candidiasis?

Dermatologist
Question
hi
i had a history of genital candidiasis 4 years back due to unsafe sex with a woman.recently 10 days back i participated in oral sex with a woman.two days later my penis started itching with slight red patches on glans(same as occured 4 years back)and pale yellow discharge (very less) in the morning when i woke up.i took single dose of flucanazole 150mg and applying clotrimazole external lotion on penis 3 times a day.its been 1 week since i am applying clotrimazole.there is considerable recovery.but it itches now and then.is it candidiasis?if yes please help me.
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
The description of the illness and good response to antifungals points towards diagnosis of candidiasis in your case.
Candidiasis is caused by a lipophilic yeast called candida albicans.It exists in oral and genital region in males as well as females.It can cause infection after oral or vaginal unprotected sex.
As you have been responding good with the treatment ,my advise to you would be-
Continue application of clotrimazole cream.
Repeat the dose of Fluconazole 150 mg once more time .
For itching you can take tab Zytec twice daily.

Can continue the treatment for 7 more days.

The condition will resolve in about 7 more days.

Hope this helps.
If you need any further clarification do let me know.

Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology.