History of fibromyalgia and IBS. Tear in the rectum, sore tail bone. Colonoscopy normal

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My rectum feels like there is a cut there but it does not hurt when I have a BM. My tailbone is also sore at times. I do have back problems and fibromyalgia. After I lay down at night the pain and burning go away. I had a colonoscopy 7 years ago and everything was fine. The Dr. said come back in 10 years. I also have IBS. A nurse practioner looked at my rectum and saw nothing. She said it might be caused from a pinched nerve. I am 60 years old and I weigh 180 and I am 5ft.5inches tall.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Your History suggests you have Coccydynia. You need a thorough by an Orthopedician for this. Your Doctor will examine you and suggest further tests like, lateral X-ray of the coccyx to rule any fracture of coccyx. He/she may also order CT scan or MRI scan if it is clinically necessary.

Once confirmed, treatment is conservative which involves analgesics, methylcobalamin supplements along with Physiotherapy. Surgery is considered in severe cases.

You can follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Apply ice packs or heat pads to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, 4 times a day.
2.) You can purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This has a hole in the middle of it to prevent your tailbone from contacting the flat surface and thus avoiding pain.
3.) Avoid sitting for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.