History of endometrosis. Did pelvic ultrasound scan. What does my report says?

Infertility Specialist
I am a 51 year old female who had endometrosis in my early 20's and have had no children. Clinical notes stated Menopausal with no periods for 16 months then heavy bleeding 3 days.

I recently had a pelvic ultrasound and was advised my uterus was quite bulky at 163 x 136 x 92mm in diameter. It was anteverted in position. There were 5 discrete fibroids visible, one right sided posterior intramural fibroid measured 70 x 89 x 63mm, a further right sided intramural fibroid 55 x 50 x 64mm, a left one 58 x 75 x 73mm. An anterior intramural fibroid 42 x 40 x 34mm and an adjacent anterior intramural fibroid 35 x 29 x 25mm.

Also the endometrial canal contains some echogenic material which most likely represents blood produces as there is no evidence of vascularity. Overall the edometrium itself is not thickened at only 4mm.

The right ovary had a volume of 11.9cc demonstrating 5 residual follicicles measuring up to 18mm in diameter, The left ovary had a volume of 4cc. There was no free fluid in the pouch of XXXXXXX

What does all this means in simple terms please, my Doctor has suggested a hysterctomy but I would like to understand what all the above means.

Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. Above scan report shows multiple fibroids in uterus which are probably causing the bleeding. Hence removal of uterus at this age is an option yo stop bleeding and pain if there is any. Otherwise there are no problems in your report. Let me know if you have any more queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol