History of diverticulitis. Having lower abdominal pain, foamy and clay colored stools. Anything serious?

My mother is an underweight 81 years old with a history of diverticulitis, type 2 diabetes (controlled) and a pacemaker. About three days ago she began having lower abdominal pain. The abdominal pain has largely dissipated but yesterday she began having foamy, clay colored stools, and experienced some chest pain and tightness. Today the chest pain and tightness are gone, but she has lower back pain and pain between her shoulder blades. She said she is feeling 75% better this evening than yesterday. I am concerned about whether she needs to go to the ER. She is "willing" to go tomorrow; she wants to see if she continues to feel better.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: needs ECG and examination. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. Your mother is presenting with features that is related to abdomen and chest. The lower abdominal pain, foamy, clay colored stools suggests abdominal symptoms may be due to gastrointestinal problem but chest pain, tightness and pain between her shoulder blades suggests some problem in chest (may be cardiac). In diabetics the pain will be reduced and hence the symptom due to cardiac involvement is also reduced. So better to get done ECG and examination once to rule out any cardiac involvement now. There is large possibility that the symptoms may disappear in time and may be due to abdominal problem but need to rule out the cardiac involvement with the presenting symptoms. For now ask her to take plenty of fluids with electrolytes and get done ECG, BP, blood sugar level once. This will help to plan for further management. Hope this information answered your query and is helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health. Regards