History of crohn's disease. On birth control. Pain in leg, calf, back of knee. Why has this happened?

General Surgeon
Hi. I am a 34 year old female with a history of Crohn's Disease. My current medications are the birth control patch, imuran and amitriptyline. One day ago I developed pain in my right calf and back of my right knee, and it hurts to walk on it. On Friday I took a 7 hour flight to Europe, and I flew back 7 hours yesterday. I don't remember doing anything recently to strain or twist the muscles in that leg.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Young woman 34 year, diagnosed case of Crohn`s disease ( inflammatory bowel disease ) now under treatment with Imuran a immunosuppressive drug, and amitriptyline a tricyclic antidepressant and birth control pills.

Pain in the right calf and back of right knee, which hurts on walking, can be due to many reasons.

It can be due to side effect of some drug or excessive exertion.

It can be due to Crohn`s disease also, as Crohn's disease can cause many neurological complications, like seizures, stroke, myopathy, peripheral neuropathy, headache and depression.

To me it appears as a simple muscular and joint pain which will be relived wih simple analgesic along with rest for a few days.

If it is accompanied by swelling around the knee and in the calf region, examination by orthopedic surgeon is advisable.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”.