History of congested throat and grade 1 tonsils. Started having throat pain and cough. Concerned

Good

ENT Specialist
Question
ON LAST YEAR IN AUGUST I WAS HOSPTILASED FOR CONGESTED THROAT PROBLEM WITH AND GRADE I TONSILS (+)
NOW AGAIN IN MY THROAT THERE IS A PAIN AND SEEMS TO BE AGAIN HAVING TONSILS
COUGH IS COMING
AND HAVING PROBLEM TO TAKE THE FOOD
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

You seem to be suffering from acute tonsillo-pharyngitis.

During acute infection you will require a course of good antibiotics (such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime) a potent pain killer and an oral antiseptic mouth gargles (povidone iodine).

Also, you need to drink plenty of warm water (this improves the blood supply and clears of the infection); avoid chilled food and beverages, smoking and greasy food for few days till you recover.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up query.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: History of congested throat and grade 1 tonsils. Started having throat pain and cough. Concerned 11 minutes later
but few days i have already taken this antibiotic

3 days anibiotic i have taken total 6 tabets of amoxycyclian and clavulanic acid

but again the problem presisits

so how many days i take antibiotic for these

and gargles with salt water

5days course means 10 tab
and advice me which antibiotic i take for cureing and suggest should i go for surgery

bcz after 4-6 months problem presisits and doctor advice me already this is only cuase

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The antibiotic has to be taken for at least 7 days in case of mild infection, 10 days in case of moderate and for two weeks in severe infections. In your case, you need to take it for at least 10 days. It should be either 625mg thrice a day or 1 gm twice a day. Apart from that you need to take pain killers and do gargles with povidone iodine solution.

Please follow my advice you will definitely alright.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon